Being a young parent is hard work, but it is very rewarding. I found out I was pregnant shortly after turning 21 and gave birth to my beautiful baby girl Melody. A lot of people around this age are still pursuing their degrees and just living a fun, carefree life. I never thought I would be a parent at the age of 21 but hey…things happen! Just like anything else, being a young parent has its pros and cons.
- Not being Financially stable. In some countries at the age of 21 you may still be living with your parents. In America a lot of young adults try to move out right after high school or right when they turn 18. At this time your are not financially fit. You don’t have the things your parents have and your not going to get it with in 1 year. Having a child is expensive. From doctors visits, diapers wipes, formula, daycare, clothes, toys, a crib and much more.
- If you wanted a college degree or more education it would be much harder to achieve that. You would need a babysitter to watch them and you will feel like your missing out on there life by trying to fix your life.
- You may lose friends because yall are on different levels and now you need to work and take care of a baby while they may still be sleeping in late or staying out late and going to party’s, but a pro to this is that you might be other parent friends and yall can hang out to get there and maybe depend on each other.
- Your parents may not support your situation or want you to have the baby. Same as your partner, so depending on if they don’t and you continue to have your baby, you may end up losing both support system and struggle even more.
- When a woman get pregnant in their 20s they have a less likely chance to have a miscarriage or any other severe health conditions.
- Young adults have more energy, so they can still have enough energy to get through the day after long sleepless nights.
- You can always play kid games with them and help them with their homework. I remember when I was younger I needed help with my homework and my mom could not really help me because they have been out of school for a long time. So it was hard for them to remember the material.
- You can always have another child when you get older, like closer to your 30s and still have a less likely chance to experience any pregnancy problems.
- It helps you become a mature, responsible adult(sometimes, can’t speak for everyone haha).
So as you can see, being a young parent has its pros and cons. I hope this helps anyone who is thinking about becoming a parent at a young age or if you’re already pregnant and wanted to know some of the pros and cons. Thanks for reading!